The location of Homer is built on what was once the home of the Omaha Indians. Their village was one of the largest in the northwest. The village was decimated by small pox, and is recorded by the Lewis & Clark expedition. When they arrived in August of 1804, some of the expedition explored the ruins of the village, Tonwantonga, which means, "large village". The Omaha tribe burned the village and moved south. The village is commemorated by a marker on Highway 75, just north of Homer.

In 1856 Jesse Wigle erected his house at the foot of the bluffs.

The winter of 1856-57 was called "the terrible winter". It was considered to be one of the things the early settlers never forgot. For 40 days the temperature did not get above freezing, and the snow was 4' deep.

In 1864, during the Civil War, a blizzard swept over Dakota County, and the remaining pioneers and livestock suffered greatly.

The first regular Fourth of July was held in 1857 in Logan, in the old house that Col. Baird later moved to his farm. J.F. Warner read the Declaration of Independence, and William Crawford delivered a patriotic speech. A grand ball was held in the evening.

Col. Jesse F Warner–––COL. J. F. WARNER, lawyer by profession, engaged in farming and fruit growing. He was a native of Wayne County, Ohio. At the age of sixteen came with his parents to Iowa. Studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1856. The following year, he came to Nebraska, locating in Dakota City. When the Rebellion broke out, (Civil War) he went to his old home in Iowa, raised a company, entered the Seventh Infantry as Lieutenant; served over three years in that regiment; was promoted to rank of Captain; resigned on account of injuries received; returned to Iowa; was chosen colonel of one of the border state regiments. When the war was over, returned to Nebraska, and soon thereafter located on the farm in Homer, on which he now resides. Land improved, with 1,000 apple trees, 100 cherry trees and 2,000 grape vines and other fruit. Was a member of the Electoral college in 1868, and as delegate elector cast the maiden vote of the State for Grant and Colfax. Was the candidate of the Liberal Republicans and Democrats for Congress in 1872. Represented his county in the State Legislature in 1879-80.(He is buried in Dakota City)

In October of 1871, Squire Martin Mansfield-(buried in Omaha Cemetery) came to town with a loadof lumber and his tools, and by sunset, he had completed the first house ever erected in town; which was occupied before dark by John & Joseph Smith, with a stock of general merchandise.

In 1874, the Smith brothers had the town plotted and surveyed. The streets in Homer are named for the children of John & Joseph Smith.

HomerIn 1875, the county commissioners incorporated the town under the name of Homer and appointed the following trustees; Robert Smith (1851-1924, buried in Omaha Cemetery), A.F. DeBorde, Alfred Pilgrim, Henry Loomis, and John Smith Jr. The government progressed for 12 years, and then languished until 1887 when it was revived by M. S. Mansfield (1842-1909, buried in Omaha Cemetery) and the newly appointed trustees were; Samuel A. Brown (1852-1924, buried in Taylor Cemetery), Henry Loomis (1835-1923 buried in Hale/Grove/Fiddler Creek Cemetery), Albert Nash,(buried in Evergreen-Walthill Cemetery) Arthur Turner and Thomas Ashford Jr. (1864-1946 St. Cornelius Cemetery, Homer).

In the winter of 1880-81, 8' of snow fell to the ground, and everywhere was covered to a depth of 4 feet. Roads in many places were abandoned, many lives were lost, and hundreds of stock were frozen to death. In the spring, low lands were flooded, bridges washed away, and vast amounts of property destroyed.

The first newspaper in Homer was The Herald in 1889, succeeded by The Independent in 1893.

In 1893, the population of Homer was 400. There were 5 general stores, one drug store, one hardware store, one meat market, one millinery store, two hotels, one barber shop, two livery barns, a stage line, one bank, two dressmakers, two blacksmith/wagon shops, one saloon, 4 churches, one newspaper, two carpenters, one house & sign painter, two plasterers and masons, one jail, a circulating library, one well digger, one real estate & loan, two insurance agents, a school and a post office, two bands, the Homer Cornet and the Homer Orchestra, one brick yard, the Homer Driving Park & Picnic Grounds Assoc. (which was organized by CJ O'Connor, A.W. Turner, Col. H. Baird. They have a half mile race track and picnic ground one half mile northeast of Homer).

Memorial Day of 1884 was held in the Dakota City Cemetery, and one thousand people witnessed the ceremony.